In 1909 Charles Koch opened a bakery at 2903 S. Jefferson Ave. In 1936 the interior was renovated in the art-deco style.
Photo: Mr. Koch taking orders at Koch's Bakery, 2903 S. Jefferson
Mr. Koch sold the business in 1959 to an employee, John Mayer, an immigrant from German-speaking Austrian colony in Yugoslavia, who had worked at Koch's Bakery since 1947.
Mr Mayer had learned to bake from an Irish immigrant during his time in the U.S. Army prior to joining Koch's Bakery. For years his Austrian-style apple strudel was sold at Bevo Days, the Bavarian Inn and Black Forest Inn. It was also a specialty at the Bevo Mill. As customers moved to West County, the baker reduced its hours just Fridays and Saturdays.
Mayer's German-Austrian Bakery was at this location until he retired. All of Mayer's four children had worked at the bakery, but all pursued other opportunities.
Photo: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, October 21, 1991
In 2001, Black Bear Bakery took over 2903 S. Jefferson. They were at this location until moving to Cherokee Street.
Photo: Riverfront Times, March 7, 2001. Black Bear Bakery
For a brief period in 2012, the space was used as an art bar/special events space call Mayer's Baker Bar-To-Be. It was then the Archive Bookstore, used and vintage books, until June 2013.
Photo: Riverfront Times, January 5, 2012.
Photo: Riverfront Times, June 3, 2013. The Archive Bookstore