It's no surprise that St. Louis has a lengthy history of German immigrants and bakeries. 2730 Gravois is another example of where the two intersect in Benton Park West's history.
Born in Germany in 1881, John Sobery immigrated to the U.S. He met and married his wife Amalia Maslo, another German immigrant in 1909. Eventually, they opened The Sobery Bakery at 2730 Gravois Avenue, (the building was built in 1901). Their bakery specialized in traditional German cuisine.
This photo dated December 3, 1939 shows a large sign above the display reads: "It must be good! Sobery's have received advanced orders for 4 tons of fruit cake. Place your order NOW to insure proper ageing."
John Sobery passed away in 1958. His son Frederick (Fred) A. Sobery had moved to Carbondale, IL in 1948 and opened a Sobery's Bakery there at 401 S. Illinois. On a side note, Fred Sobery purchased his bakery from the Lewis Brother's who were expending their baking which would become Bunny Bread.
Photo: 2730 Gravois Now
2730 Gravois Ave has held several uses over the years. The first listing found was in Gould's St. Louis Director for 1889 which listed Bernhard and Fannie Wiggenhorn as grocers for the address. In 1915 the address was listed as Emil Swistowics Bakery and Confectionery.
Photo: Matchbook advertising for Heyde Sewing Machine Co.
Heyde Sewing Machine Co had a store located in 2730 Gravois for a while. They are still in business off South Lindbergh Blvd.